Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Ch,Ch,Ch, Changes

Summer break is coming to a screeching halt here in a couple of days, and I am finding myself very upset. Normally parents are counting down the days until that yellow bus makes it's stop at the end of the street again. But not me, I'm sad. Like take an extra zoloft sad!

Last year Connor went to pre-k at the elementary school. He already hung out with big kids. He knew kindergartners. He even has 2 first grade friends (now 2nd grade). This was suppose to be an easy transition for him, as well as for mom. The schools here have half day kinder. So, while I was disappointed that he wasn't going to be learning more, I was secretly excited to have him home one more year. However, I had arranged for him to go to a program at the little boys school 1 day a week. They have a K class the other half of the day. Christian did not go to any MDO last year. And that was hard on me to NEVER have a break. I'm not big on sitters. So I knew for my own sanity I could not go another year like that. So Colton is in preschool 3 days per week and Connor and Christian 1 day. That gives me 1 day a week for me (a few hours anyway). Then mid summer, the school announces we are having full day kinder. YAY for Con, BOO for me. It is hitting me hard.

And to perhaps add to my fear of changes.....I got a job. Now I am second guessing myself and my decision. I am going to be working at the little boys school. So it's only 3 days a week (15 hours) and they get to go with me. But I loose any me time I thought I was going to have. I thought I really wanted something to do (and to help with 3 college funds).  I am sad Connor is away and now I am losing 3 days with Christian.

Maybe this is all too much at once. Or more likely I am just being a big fat baby! My first born baby is practically off to college. And last night while at parent orientation at the my work they asked me if I would want to move into Christian's room, which means they would move him into the 2 year old room. WHAT?!?!? He can't be in the 2 year old room-I wish I was still nursing that boy.

There's my Debbie Downer story for you. Hope I didn't send you to the liquor cabinet for a drink, my friends.


How did you handle your kids leaving the nest?

3 comments:

If the shoe FITZ said...

Right there with ya...except that I just have one and I am finding it hard to believe he's about to be two!

I signed Liam up back in May so we would have a spot and if we backed out we backed out.
It's just two days a week from 9-2. Somedays I wanna send him others I don't.
I need a break too...not like you need a break with three...but still some sort of break to do errands etc.
So now I've got to decide since he starts on the first.

starnes family said...

I don't send them until I have to! I know I'm not the norm here......but I get very sentimental, too. :(

Congratulations on the job!

donatelli98 said...

Cous - you'll make it. It will take time to adjust but you'll do it. Connor is so ready for full day kindergarten - he will have an amazing time! Call me this week and we can chat!! Love you lots!