Sunday, December 7, 2008

New York






Mark and I went to New York/New Jersey this weekend. Mark's corporate office is located in Wayne, NJ and they were having their annual Christmas party this weekend. So for the first time in just over a year, Mark and I went away together, alone, for 2 whole days!!!! It was great. We flew up there Friday evening. Mark had spent the week in Canada and returned home Friday afternoon. He picked Connor up from school, changed out his luggage and we were off. We dropped Connor off at Bethany's house and then took Colton down to Beth's home for the weekend. Amy watched the dogs for us. Thank goodness for great friends and family, otherwise we would not be able to do anything. Anyway, we finally arrived at the hotel around midnight. We had planned on going into New York City for the day on Saturday before the party that evening. We parked the rental at Penn Station and took the train over. That was certainly a feat all on it's on, 2 virgin train riders (1 being a man who doesn't like to ask directions, haha). After you figure out which train to be on, who the heck knew there would be so many, and learned how to buy tickets out of the machine, it wasn't so bad. At least we made it there and back. Next time should be a breeze.






We planned to go up in the Empire State Building. In fact we took a cab over there, but the line was over an hour long, so we decided to put that on the list for next time. We did a lot of walking around just looking at all the buildings and thousands of people. I have never seen so many people in one place. I have decided i would never want to be there for the tree lighting or New Year's Eve. I like my personal space.






We thought we should go into Macy's while we there, just to say we had been there. It is a beautiful store all decorated for the holidays. And the most exciting part, the entire 1st floor is purses!!! But if you want to buy one, go online because there were so many freaking people in there you could not walk. Yet shoppers were coming out with bags. I don't know how they did it. If I were a local, that would make me so mad!!!






We did, of course, go see the Christmas tree. Last year on our visit the tree was there but not lit yet. It was beautiful!! That is what the picture is of, all though it does not do it justice. I will also point out that a family from New Orleans was there for the lighting ceremony last week, Katrina victims, whose new home, built by habitat for humanity, has the wood from last year's tree. I think it was used to make the living room floor. Could you imagine walking every day on a famous Christmas tree. What a story that would be to tell.






We did our socializing that night at the company party. I finally got to meet the people that Mark spends so much time with these days. It's nice to be able to put a face to a name. All during dinner, Mark was getting updates from Amy and his mom about the OU game. BOOMER!!!! It was a blow out. If you have to be out with Mark during an OU game, it is always good if they win. Then to top off the evening, when we went outside to leave, it was snowing!!! Living down south, we don't get that so often, so I was excited. I felt like a little kid even though it wasn't much.






Over all the weekend was nice. Next time I will certainly plan more and execute much better than this trip. I just hope it won't be a year before we get to go away again. Hint, Hint if anyone out there wants to volunteer to take on boys or dogs!!!



2 comments:

donatelli98 said...

Didn't you go to Ireland sans kids a few months ago???? Dennis and I haven't been on more than a two night away without kids since Sophia was born ... want to watch my girls? We can do a swap?

The Lenzers said...

Ok so cindy refreshed my memory on a very recent trip...IRELAND!! how could i forget that one? But in my defense, Mark and I were not alone. And Cindy, yes we can definately do a swap!!